Projects

Waste Generation and its Impacts on Environment in Sulaimaniyah City (In progress)

While economic growth has brought many benefits, such us raising standards of living and improving life style across the Kurdistan region, but it has also resulted in the depletion of natural resources and the degradation of ecosystems. Developing the industrial sector in the Kurdistan region particularly in the south of Sulaimaniyah is likely to generate tons of different types of wastes including hazardous waste which will be dumped illegally without any proper treatment. 


Recently, Sulaimaniyah city is faced with new challenges su increasing waste generation rate and lack of available land for establishing new sanitary landfill (World Bank report, 2015). Sulaimaniyah governorate includes 76 municipalities within 10 districts and 50 sub-districts and many villages. The majority of governorate’s solid waste is managed by private sectors. The main dumping area in Sulaimaniyah (Tanjaro) is located approximately 10 km south of the city and it is nearly saturated (World Bank report, 2015). About 85% of the populations of Kurdistan Region of Iraq is living in the city, while the remaining 15% are living in the villages and countryside outside the city. In 2015, the city has around 5500 factories of varying sizes. This alone will cause many environmental problems for the city such as groundwater pollution, because of the seeping down of leachates generated from the dumping area into the soil and finding its way into the groundwater.